COP 21 is the twenty-first session of the Conference of the Parties (COP) and the eleventh session of the Conference of the Parties serving as the meeting of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol (CMP) will take place from 30 November to 11 December 2015, in Paris, France.
A BBC 1 minute video explains what is COP21:
Around 40,000 people are expected to participate in the event, which runs until 11 December. The gathering of 147 heads of state and government is set to be far bigger than the 115 or so who came to Copenhagen in 2009, the last time the world came close to agreeing a long term deal on climate change.
- important facts: Six graphics that explain climate change
- how is the private sector reacting: Microsoft’s Gates to start multi-billion-dollar clean tech initiative
“Gates and a group of developing and developed countries will launch the Clean Tech Initiative, in which countries will commit to doubling their clean energy technology research and development budgets by 2020 and private investors will boost their own investments in the sector.”
- how are corporatist lobbyists reacting: Paris climate talks: powerful business lobbies seek to undermine deal
“powerful lobbies like BusinessEurope (the European federation of employers’ organisations) have positioned climate action as directly opposed to economic growth”
- what millennials think : A Millennials’ Perspective on Climate Justice
“Millennials have long understood that a deep economic transformation is clearly a need, not a luxury. There is not a one-size-fits-all answer; each country will need to find its own approach in line with the national context and implement changes on the ground. This is in itself an exciting opportunity to capture people’s minds and hearts and empower them to actively engage in problem-solving. The powerful actions of vulnerable citizens across the world demonstrate their role as active builders–not passive support-takers.”
FOLLOW during the next days:
- Twitter @COP21
- UNFCC web & newsroom for official news
- Climate Talks Live http://climatetalkslive.org/